HOW DO I IMPROVE MY CREDIT SCORE AFTER BANKRUPTCY?
August 17, 2016 | BANKRUPTCY
A credit score is one of those all-important factors that haunts many people after filing for bankruptcy. After all, credit scores can determine whether you’ll qualify for a loan, meet eligibility requirements for housing, and even be the determining factor in applying for a credit card.
So while it’s certainly significant, the process of rebuilding your credit after bankruptcy doesn’t have to be as scary as everyone says. It is important to begin your efforts as soon as possible, because the longer you wait the harder it can become. Bankruptcy can stay on your credit report for up to 10 years, but financial institutions appreciate when borrowers make good faith efforts.
The following strategies should be implemented right away to rebuild your credit:
- Review your credit report. You can’t fix the problem if you don’t know what you’re up against. Get a copy of your credit reports, look for any inconsistencies, and start envisioning the place you want to get to in the future.
- Pay your bills on time. This is one of the most effective ways to raise your credit score, as your payment history represents one third of your entire score. Set up reminders or schedule your payments electronically so you don’t forget.
- Open up a credit card. While this shouldn’t take place the day after your bankruptcy is finalized, it needs to happen eventually. Lenders are actually more willing to supply credit cards than most people think and it is a good way to show that you are consistent with payments.
- Watch out for credit repair agencies. Anything that looks too good to be true probably is, especially as it relates to your credit. Don’t use any service before looking into it and be aware that many agencies want your money before they help.
- Apply for a loan eventually. Choose a loan that you know you can pay off with success. A car loan is effective, as long as you buy a reasonably priced vehicle.
OUR FIRM CAN GIVE YOU THE RESOURCES TO BE SUCCESSFUL!
We believe that people need just as much support after bankruptcy as they do throughout the filing process. Our firm offers a comprehensive level of legal representation and counseling that many others simply don’t have.
When you retain The Nesbitt Law Firm, you are not alone in this financial journey. For years of valuable experience, get in touch with our Columbus bankruptcy lawyer today!